Keeping your skin fresh and youthful as you age is not that hard to achieve. What you need is a good skincare routine and the best hyaluronic acid serum too. This is easier said than done though, as there are tons of options out there to choose from. Nevertheless, I hope that this handy guide will help you out.
What is Hyaluronic Acid?
Hyaluronic acid (HA) is a type of sugar that our body produces naturally. One of its main functions is to help keep the skin plump and hydrated by retaining water. The levels of HA in our system can hold more water than its weight hence your skin looks gorgeous during your youth. However, as we age, the levels of hyaluronic acid that our body produces are no longer enough.
If you want to increase your HA levels naturally, the best approach is to change your diet by adding more fruits and vegetables because they are good sources of antioxidants. According to Dr. Howard D. Sobel who is a dermatologist based in New York City, the antioxidants, in turn, protect the body from inflammation which helps the skin retain more moisture.
Benefits of Using Hyaluronic Acid
Why all this commotion about using hyaluronic acid these days? It seems that using the best serum containing hyaluronic acid does offer plenty of health benefits to your skin. Here are a few that I came across in my research.
- Hydrates skin.
Have you ever noticed that your skin feels dry and rough as you age? Although there are dozens of possible causes for this condition, it might also be caused by a lack of hyaluronic acid in your system. That said, using the best hyaluronic acid serums may help remedy this problem since they can increase the amount of water retained, especially when you apply it regularly.
- Speeds up healing.
Another benefit that is linked to HA is that it can help heal your wounds faster. Applying serums containing hyaluronic acid can minimize the area of damaged skin while alleviating the pain that comes with it.
- Packed with antioxidants.
Hyaluronic acid is packed with antioxidants that are known to combat free radicals that are known to damage our skin. Antioxidants are also useful in fighting inflammation so your skin will remain radiant as you age.
Worried about fine lines and wrinkles? Hyaluronic acid serums come with anti-aging properties that make those premature signs of aging take a back seat. Your beauty will not fade so quickly if you choose to add the best HA serum in your skincare routine.
How to Choose the Best Serum Containing Hyaluronic Acid
What’s great about the best hyaluronic acid is that it is good for all skin types because it is lightweight and highly absorbent. In order to land the best one, it is important that you consider the following:
- A balanced concentration.
Hyaluronic acid serums that only has around 0.25% to 1.75% HA can hydrate your skin, but not too much. Going for a product that has more hyaluronic acid in it which is more than 2% is overkill. The best amount is simply at 2% as it is neither too high nor too low.
- Uses multiple types of HA.
Look for a serum that makes use of different types of hyaluronic acid such as lower-weight, medium-weight, and higher-weight. Each one of these types of HA targets a specific skin issue which is why you need a serum that makes use of all three or at least two of them.
- Additional ingredients.
Water and hyaluronic acid are frequently used in most HA serums, but you should also look for other important ingredients such as white tea leaf extract and niacinamide which not only fight free radicals but eradicate fine lines and wrinkles too.
How to Use Hyaluronic Acid
Did you know that there is a correct way of using this type of serum on your skin? In order for hyaluronic acid to be truly effective, you need to understand when you should apply it. Here’s the right way of using an HA product.
- Cleanse and tone your face first.
- Apply a dime-size amount of the serum on your damp face.
Take note that your face must be damp before you use this serum as using it on dry skin will do more harm than good. HA can have the opposite effect when there is not enough moisture on the surface of your skin.
- Use your favourite moisturizer on top of the serum.
Keep in mind that once you apply moisturizer on your skin, any other products that you use afterwards will no longer be absorbed which is why you should start with the serum first before applying moisturizer.
Following the correct order of how you apply your skincare products can yield huge rewards for your skin. I suggest that you take a look at your current skincare routine and adjust it as you see fit, especially when you will be using HA anti-aging serums.
A Review of the Best Hyaluronic Acid Serums
I have to admit that I was a bit overwhelmed during my search for a hyaluronic acid serum as there are hundreds of products up for grabs. So far, I was able to narrow it down to these five products, so let me tell you a bit about them.
SkinCeuticals – HYALURONIC ACID INTENSIFIER (H.A.)
SkinCeuticals’ HA Intensifier is quite intense as it is designed to correct the skin by boosting the amount of hyaluronic acids in your system. It has a unique blend of ingredients such as Proxylane, or high concentrations of pure HA, purple rice, and botanical extracts coming from the licorice root. What these ingredients do is to promote hydration on the surface of your skin while improving the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. You can use this after getting derma fillers too but make sure that you discuss your skincare regimen with your doctor first.
What can you expect from HA Intensifier? It can increase your hyaluronic acid levels up to 30%. It minimizes the signs of premature aging while making your skin look and feel hydrated for hours after application. I like that SkinCeuticals made sure that their product doesn’t contain harsh ingredients like parabens and phthalates. It is also designed to be useful for all skin types.
- Corrects skin condition with regular application.
- Boosts HA levels up to 30%.
- Combats any visible signs of aging, from the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines, to loose and sagging skin.
- Chemical-free too so you don’t have to worry about adverse effects.
- There is one user who did not notice any changes to their hyperpigmented skin.
- Another reviewer remarked on the price of this serum which is too high.
- Someone spotted that denatured alcohol was among the ingredients used in this product.
The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid 2% +B5
Remember when I said that when you are searching for an acid serum that it should have a balanced concentration? Well, The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid 2 B5 is a good option as it contains 2% of hyaluronic acid. What made this stood out for me is that it mixes different types of HA in one bottle which means that this product will target all skin issues that you may be having, from having visible signs of aging, to having dry and rough skin. I like that the bottle looks quite ordinary until you try the serum out.
I also learned that The Ordinary also makes use of vitamin B5 which helps with retaining moisture on your skin’s surface. So, if you want to bring back the natural suppleness and smoothness of your skin, this is one serum you should definitely try out.
- It contains a balanced amount of HA which is at 2%.
- Vitamin B5 is included in this serum to help increase hydration on the skin’s surface.
- Combines different types of HA to create one of the best skincare solutions.
- Repairs and rejuvenates skin with ease.
- A user complained that her skin started to peel after weeks of use.
- Another mentioned that the serum turned white after applying on their skin.
- A customer wrote that the serum started to flake off in the morning which did nothing for their skin.
Drunk Elephant B-Hydra™ Intensive Hydration Serum
Think of the B Hydra as water that quenches your parched throat, but this time, it is satisfying your dry skin’s need for hydration. It helps brighten your complexion, while evening out your skin tone, and improve texture too all while keeping your face nourished and hydrated. Its key ingredients include pineapple ceramide and provitamin B5 which help attract more moisture into your skin to give that natural glow.
If you are worried that there will be harsh ingredients present in this Intensive Hydration Serum, you’ll be happy to know that Drunk Elephant doesn’t contain any strong chemical compounds that can cause flare ups. Using this regularly will help with keeping free radicals at bay while correcting any skin issues that you may be having. You’ll find that your skin absorbs this serum quickly with the effects visible after a few minutes of application. This is a great addition to your skincare routine for sure.
- Effective thirst-quencher for the skin because of its high amounts of vitamin B5 and essential nutrients.
- It brightens complexion and puts a halt to any premature aging.
- No chemical compounds included in the manufacturing which means that it is safe to use even by those who have sensitive skin.
- Lightweight and easy to absorb by the skin.
- Several users remarked on its price which is relatively high.
- Its moisturizing effects aren’t that effecient for some users.
- One user complained that the serum was a bit watery and doesn’t do much for moisturizing their skin.
Vichy Mineral 89 Hydrating Hyaluronic Acid Serum
If you want to bring back the natural beauty of your skin, then Vichy Mineral is a good option to consider as it combine Vichy volcanic water and hyaluronic acid in one powerful skincare product. This serum containing hyaluronic acid not only hydrates the skin, but it also makes it plump and more elastic too. Applying this daily can help deliver the nutrients and hydration that you need to gain that bright complexion that you have always wanted.
Another thing that I liked about Vichy Mineral is that it is not that hard to use. You can use it as is to give your skin its much-needed hydration, or use it alongside other skincare products that you have such as moisturizer to help lock in the water on your skin’s surface. What you’ll love about this serum is that it is free from harsh chemicals like parabens, sulfates, and phthalates even making it a good option for those who have sensitive skin.
- Brings back the natural beauty of your skin through its hydrating properties.
- Regular use makes your skin strong and elastic.
- You can use it on its own or together with a moisturizer of your choice.
- Free from harsh chemicals that can irritate the skin.
- One user remarked that it is not great for those who have combination skin.
- Another customer felt that the serum was too watery for their needs.
- Someone complained that the product was too sticky without leaving enough moisture for their skin.
DR. BARBARA STURM Hyaluronic Serum
Another option that I would suggest for your skin is Dr. Barabara Sturm Hyaluronic Serum. This prouct combines low-weight and high-weight HA molecules so that you will immediately feel the effects of the serum while it works its way into the layers of your skin. The deeper skin levels receive their much-needed hydration thanks to the low-weight HA molecules while the high-weighted molecules are responsible for giving your skin its instant boost after a few minutes after application.
You will find that using this product regulalry will help correct any skin issues that you are dealing with from dry, rough patches to signs of aging like lines and wrinkles. You just need to squeeze a full pipette of the serum on the palm of your hand and apply it evenly on your face. Wait for about 30 seconds before applying the next layer of cream. This sounds promising especially when you are constantly staying outdoors because you will have a hyaluronic acid serum that nourishes your skin.
- It makes use of low-weight and high-weight HA molecules to hydrate both the upper and inner layers of your skin.
- It can correct any skin issues that you have with regular use.
- See and feel the improvement on your skin after a few minutes.
- Easy to use as a full pipette is enough to cover the entire face.
- It is quite pricey for a hyaluronic acid serum which is a turn off.
- It takes a while before skin improvements are seen.
If you are searching for a hyaluronic acid serum that will give you the best skincare results, my bet is SkinCeuticals Hyaluronic Acid Intensifier. What I like about this product is that it can increase the amount of HA in your skin up to 30%. You don’t even have to worry about signs of premature aging since it has the ingredients needed to keep them at bay. There are no harsh chemicals in it too which makes it a good choice for those who have sensitive skin as well.
The Ordinary Skincare | Australian Review
Beauty Space reviews the cult favourite skincare brand, The Ordinary. Discover the products I use within my routine and how they work. FAQs included.