Managing your oily skin can be tough if you don’t know which skincare product to use. Moisturizers do help keep your skin hydrated, but if your skin type is more on oily, this product may feel too heavy on your skin. This is where getting the right serum for oily skin will be in your favour since it is light and can moisturize your face and neck with ease.
What are the Benefits of Using Serum for Oily Skin?
Finding the right face serum can be tricky especially when you have oily skin. Yes, moisturizers are needed by our skin, but for your skin type, switching to serums is better. There are certain advantages to using a serum in dealing with excess oil production and these are:
- Serums for oily skin are usually lightweight and are easily absorbed by the skin.
- The formula for this skincare product is more focused on delivering hydration.
- Serums can penetrate deeper into the skin compared to moisturizers.
- They do not clog your pores.
What Ingredients Should You Look For?
Narrowing down your choices for the best serums for oily skin will be challenging if you are not familiar with what to look for in these products. That said, there are several ingredients that you should consider that your serum should have.
Ingredients like vitamin C should be part and parcel of any serum used on oily skin. This is a type of antioxidant that can protect your skin from free radicals and even enhance collagen production. Additionally, this ingredient functions as an anti-inflammatory and healing which means that whatever is causing your acne prone skin or oiliness, it can help fix it.
Another ingredient that your serum should have is salicylic acid. What this ingredient does is that it helps exfoliate your skin to get rid of the dead skin cells, prevent oily skin, and even reduce inflammation just to name a few.
Our skin tends to produce more oil when it is not properly hydrated. This is where hyaluronic acid comes in. It provides you with intense hydration without being too heavy on the skin to help tame the production of sebum. It can also play a part in keeping fine lines and wrinkles at bay as well.
If you are dealing with dark spots then a serum that contains lactic acid is a good choice. This acid targets hyperpigmentation on your skin as well as age spots so your skin will look and feel renewed.
Glycerin is one of the ingredients that you should find in serums to make your skin smooth and supple. This is plant-based so it is quite safe to use. Other uses of glycerin include toning and hydration.
A serum that contains niacinamide is always welcome since it produces keratin which is a type of protein that helps the skin remain firm and supple.
These are just a few ingredients that you should keep an eye on when you are searching for a serum to use on your skin type.
Tips for Buying Serums for Oily Skin
There are literally dozens of this skincare product up for sale that it won’t be surprising if you find yourself at a loss as to where to begin. Well, aside from knowing what ingredients should appear on the label of this skincare product, there are other tips to take into consideration too such as:
- Know what your needs are. Take note that not everyone has the same skin type. Some have oily skin, neutral, or combination skin. You need to figure out what’s yours so you will be able to narrow down your choices.
- Identify essential ingredients such as those that were mentioned above like hyaluronic acid, salicylic acid, and vitamin C.
- Sampling serums can be a good way to determine what works for your skin. You can ask for free samples too from stores to see if they are suited for your oily skin.
- Talk to your dermatologist if you want to get to the root of the problem before buying any skincare solutions for the excess oils on your skin.
- Consider your budget. The prices for this type of product can range from cheap to expensive. You might be leaning towards buying the pricier ones, but this doesn’t always mean that you will get the right product for your skin issue. Make sure that there is a good balance between the retail price and the features that the serum can provide you with.
Shopping for serum is easier said than done, but with these few tips in mind, you might be able to round up the best serums for oily skin in no time.
A Review of Serum Products for Oily Skin
Looking for the appropriate serum for your skin concerns is a must especially when you want to reduce the amount of sebum your skin is producing. I understand that there are plenty of choices to go through which is why I have put together this list of possible products to address your skin concerns.
asap super B complex
Keeping signs of aging at bay is possible if you add asap super B complex to your skincare routine. It comes with an anti-inflammatory formula with plenty of antioxidants too that fight free radicals. The B complex is known for delivering your skin’s much-needed moisture to lessen the production of oils. Among the key ingredients that you will find here are glycolic acid, niacinamide, lactic acid, and hyaluronic acid. These are the ones responsible for trapping in more moisture on the skin and keeps it soft, smooth, and supple too.
What you’ll love about Asap is that it can be used by everyone regardless of their skin type. If you dull or even dehydrated skin, this will work great on your skin. You can use this during the day or before you head to bed. If you are going to apply it in the morning, make sure that you are wearing sunscreen with SPF30 to prevent any side effects from using it. It is lightweight and will not leave any oily residue.
- Fights aging signs like lines, wrinkles, and age spots.
- Traps more moisture in the skin to make it soft and supple.
- Ideal for everyone regardless of their skin type.
- One customer found the serum to be too sticky.
- It is quite expensive.
- It will take time to see results.
It’S SKIN Power 10 Formula VB Effector
If excess oil is your biggest concern, you’re probably thinking of getting a serum that is oil-free. This is exactly what you will get with the VB Effector. After application, your skin will feel fresh since this serum is absorbed immediately. For those who are dealing with large pores or perhaps you have an acne-prone skin, you will be happy to know that this product will help solve your troubles.
What makes the Power 10 Formula truly amazing is that it makes use of 10 different types of serums all rolled into one. However, if you are using other serums from the same brand, they recommend that you apply them in ascending order. Think of this the steps that you will need to follow to achieve smooth, blemish, and oil-free skin. It contains vitamin B6 that helps provide your skin with relief from stress while nourishing and hydrating it at the same time. Your sebum production will be regulated using the VB Effector which makes it a fine addition to your skincare routine.
- Oil-free serum that is absorbed quickly.
- Ideal for those who have skin that is prone to acne breakout or have large pores.
- Nourishes and hydrates skin while fighting off the effects of stress.
- There is no visible reduction of oils being produced.
- This won’t work well on dry skin.
- It may cause acne to worsen in some skin types.
Sunday Riley Good Genes All-in-One Lactic Acid Treatment
Sunday Riley Good Genes is another option to consider if you need a product that will help exfoliate your skin to remove the accumulation of dead skin cells and other debris that may be clogging your pores. It can deal with hyperpigmentation plus it can help bring back the natural shine of your skin too. Another plus to using this serum is that it helps soothe your inflamed and irritated skin which comes in handy if you are experiencing an acne breakout. You’ll be pleased to know that if you are starting to see fine lines, this lactic acid treatment will banish them with regular use.
It is a highly concentrated serum that addresses the toughest issues on your skin such as too much sebum production. Since our pores produce oils to compensate for the lack of hydration, this product will keep your skin properly hydrated. Your skin tone will never look this good since this serum corrects dark spots that may have appeared on your face, neck, and chest. Soon, you will have an even skin tone thanks to this fast working skin treatment.
- Lactic acid exfoliates the skin to remove any dirt, dust, oils, and skin cells that may be clogging the pores.
- Can soothe inflamed and irritated skin.
- Any signs of aging will be reduced with regular application.
- One user complained that she broke out into acne after using it.
- There isn’t much difference after using.
- The retail price is too high for this bottle.
Neutrogena Shine Control Matte Booster Face Primer & Serum
A face primer and serum in one? Where do we sign up? One of the biggest challenges that women with overactive sebum glands are their makeup doesn’t tend to adhere to their skin because of too much oil. It appears that there is one way to fix this and that is from Neutrogena. Their Matte Booster Face Primer and Serum solution prepares the skin prior to applying makeup by absorbing most of the oils on the surface with the help of rice protein. What you will get in return is a matte finish that will reduce that shine on your skin.
Even if you don’t want to wear makeup, you can still use Neutrogena’s face primer to keep your skin oil-free and looking quite fresh too. I like that it combines two functions in one item that will make your oily skin less oily. You can apply a small amount on your brows even to make them sleek or apply a bit more on your T-zone where most of the sebum tends to congregate.
- Combines mattifying and oil regulating properties in one.
- It can use as a primer or as is.
- Makes use of rice protein and other ingredients to absorb excess sebum.
- It may not work that well when it comes to regulating oil production.
- The mattifying effect doesn’t seem to last long.
- It can dry your skin.
Paula’s Choice RESIST Ultra-Light Antioxidant Serum
This ultra-light antioxidant serum contains a unique blend of antioxidants that help bring back the natural brightness of your skin. It delivers nourishment while keeping stressors at bay to reveal that smooth and fresh-looking skin. It is an anti aging skin solution that makes lines, wrinkles, and even sagging skin fade away with regular application. Paula s Choice is lightweight meaning that it will not clog your pores. What it does, however, is to fight off those free radicals that are damaging your skin.
Once you have applied it to your skin, you will notice that it is quick to be absorbed thus leaving no residue on the surface. It is formulated with hyaluronic acid, niacinamide, grape seed polyphenols, and other essentials in order to combat the telltale symptoms of aging while providing hydration too. If you want to get the best results, it is best to use it both in the morning and at night to help improve your skin’s condition.
- Ultra-lightweight serum that revives your oily skin.
- Can combat the appearance of wrinkles, lines, and even dark spots too.
- Delivers hydration to the skin.
- There are no dramatic changes noticeable even after weeks of use.
- It dries up too quickly.
- It leaves yellow patches on the skin.
Now that you have an idea of the best serums for oily skin, you might be wondering which one should you go with. My money is on Paula’s Choice because it is lightweight when used. I am not particularly fond of the heavy feeling I get with moisturizers so this a relief for me. Get rid of lines, wrinkles, inflammation, and even dark spots from your skin with this serum.