Breakouts and oily skin? These two are among the common skin issues that we complain of during our teenage years, but they can easily follow even in adulthood. The good news though is that there are more skincare products, like salicylic acid toners, that can help quell the breakouts and oily sheen on our skin.
What Does Salicylic Acid Do to Our Skin?
Salicylic acid has the ability to go deep into our skin where all the debris from dirt, oil, and sweat tend to accumulate and dissolve them. It can also reduce inflammation and redness which is why this ingredient is commonly used to treat whiteheads and blackheads. But what exactly does salicylic acid do to our skin?
- Exfoliates. Dead skin cells, dust, dirt, oil, and sweat can clog the pores, but because salicylic acid can easily break the buildup from within, this ingredient works perfectly as an exfoliant. Applying this on acne-prone skin can cause the top layer of your skin to slough off, thus allowing the blocked pores to be able to breathe better, and loosen any blockages too. The problem with acne is that the skin cells tend to stick together causing blockages. This leads to cysts and blackheads that need to be removed.
- Ideal for blackheads and whiteheads. Salicylic acid can help reduce the formation of acne by dealing with the abnormal sloughing off of your skin. There are three factors that cause acne breakouts to appear and these are slow or unnatural sloughing off of one’s skin, the presence of bacteria, and oily skin. Applying this solution on your skin may help with removing the top layer so that both whiteheads and blackheads will be removed as well.
- Dandruff. This is an unexpected use of salicylic acid, but it appears that, when used in low dosage, that this ingredient can also help with dandruff problems. How cool is that? After all, our scalp is made from skin and it seems that the same rules apply except that the amount of salicylic acid used should be minimal.
Which Acid is Ideal for Your Skin Type?
Different skin types will require different acid treatment. Using the wrong one may worsen your condition or have adverse effects on your skin. There are two types of acids and these are AHAs or alpha-hydroxy acids which are water-soluble, and then there are the BHAs or beta-hydroxy acids or oil soluble.
- Salicylic Acid. This is a type of BHA which means that it is designed to help exfoliate the skin while getting deep into your skin where dirt can accumulate. This is why salicylic acid is ideal for acne-prone skin as well as those with oily skin. However, high amounts of this type of acid are not ideal for pregnant women.
- Glycolic Acid. Glycolic Acid, on the other hand, is a type of AHA and is actually the smallest making it quite adept in penetrating deeper into the skin just like salicylic acid. This ingredient is best used by those whose skin is resilient, sun-damaged, or a bit thick since this will not cause any unwanted breakouts or dryness.
- Lactic Acid. If glycolic acid has small molecules, lactic acid has bigger ones. This makes it more gentle on the skin plus it works as a humectant too or has the ability to lock in moisture on the skin. This is best used for those who have normal, dehydrated, or uneven skin types.
- Hyaluronic Acid. This doesn’t work like salicylic acid but it is ideal for all skin types, particularly those who have acne prone skin. Our bodies produce hyaluronic acid on its own but its levels go down as we age. Using this product on congested skin will work just fine as it is not too heavy that it will cause blockages and buildup in our pores.
How to Use Salicylic Acid
Experts believe that the amount of salicylic acid used on the skin will vary depending on the type. This is why you should discuss your skin care routine with your dermatologist first. You don’t want to end up using too much of this acid that can lead to dry skin. The best way to use a product containing salicylic acid is in moderation. Start by applying a small amount every few days while paying close attention to your skin. If your skin becomes irritated, it is best that you stay off of it for a few days.
There are many factors that need to be considered aside from using salicylic acid on acne prone skin. The key here is to know how much you can use and when to apply it. For this, I would recommend that you talk to a skin care expert first to know what the ideal treatment for your skin that is acne prone.
Best Salicylic Acid Toners to Consider
Salicylic acid toners come in the dozen, and though each one has its merits, I have narrowed down my choices to these products. If you are looking for a toner that contains this ingredient, I suggest that you check these ones out.
Paulas Choice–SKIN PERFECTING 2% BHA Liquid Salicylic Acid Exfoliant
The first product that I think is worth checking out is from Paulas choice which contains 2% BHA liquid exfoliant. According to the manufacturer, this is designed to go deeper into the pores of the skin to help dissolve and dislodge any buildup of dirt, oil, dust, sweat, and other debris. It also helps exfoliate the skin to reveal healthier and better looking surface after. Applying this product daily can lead to reduced redness and swelling whch is ideal for those who have acne prone skin. Aside from minimizing breakouts, it can also help with fighting wrinkles, minimizing large pores, whiteheads, and blackheads too.
It is non-abrasive meaning that it will not irritate your skin when used, but according to the directions, you should apply it every few days or so while checking if there are any side effects. It is gentle to use even on delicate parts of the skin such as the neck area which is a plus. The two main ingredients here are the salicylic acid and green tea, with the latter aimed to fight signs of aging because of the antioxidants that it contains. It is alcohol free which means that there is no drying effect. You can use it in conjunction with moisturizers to keep your skin healthy and soft.
- Contains salicylic acid that helps slough off the top layer of the skin safely.
- Helps minimize breakouts, redness, and swelling.
- Green tea helps combat signs of aging because it is high in antioxidants.
- Non-abrasive solution for exfoliating the skin.
- May cause breakouts in those who have sensitive skin as reported by one user.
- Another user noticed that the product did not completely clear out their pores.
- A reviewer commented that it was runny and hard to apply on their skin.
La Roche-Posay Effaclar Clarifying Solution Acne Toner with Salicylic Acid
Toners like the La Roche-Posay Effaclar have been designed by specialists with users who have acne and oily skin being the main targets. The goal of this product is to help exfoliate and treat clogged pores while smoothing out uneven skin tone. This skin care product has been formulated with glycolic acid to get deeper into the skin where buildup often forms and stays, while the salicylic acid helps with dissolving any remaining impurities. It is oil free, paraben free, fragrance free, and it has also been dermatologically tested too. You don’t have to worry about allergy attacks when using this product because it is allergy-tested too. This is an excellent addition to any skincare product that can improve your skin significantly.
This toner is best used in the morning and at night and is more of a leave on solution for the acids to work well. With regular use, it can help correct any blemishes by targeting clogged pores, whiteheads, and blackheads too. Even acne blemishes will be solved with regular use. Since it is dermatologically tested, it works even on those who have sensitive skin which is an advantage. Tone skin while exfoliating it at the same time with this dermatologist-trusted brand and you will see how great it will work on your skin too. This is particularly useful for those who tend to be outdoors most of the time as the pollution can only worsen your skin condition. By applying toner at night, it will help remove any of those nasty gunk that you have picked up while you were outside which is important before sleeping.
- Combines glycolic acid and salicylic acid for a one-two punch on getting rid of clogged pores and stubborn dirt on skin.
- It is free from oils, parabens, and fragrances so it will not irritate the skin.
- Can be used in the morning and at night to help dislodge any buildup.
- Is formulated for oily and acne skin type but can be used on sensitive skin as well.
- One user did not notice any difference between this brand and other toner products.
- Another reviewer complained that she broke out in rashes particulary near the eye area.
- It doesn’t have enough salicylic acid in it that can help with the exfoliation process.
- Another user was disappointed with the results with the price that they had to pay for it.
No B.S. Salicylic Acid Facial Toner
What other toners with salicylic acid should you get? Try No B.S salicylic acid facial toner as this alcohol-free toner comes with powerful ingredients that gently treats scarred skin due to acne. Its three key ingredients are witch hazel, tea tree oil, and salicylic acid which, when combined, delivers a good dose of antioxidants to your skin to boost its health, while exfoliating and unclogging pores. It helps reduce any swelling and redness with regular use which means that your natural beautiful skin will be revealed soon enough.
Upon checking the list of ingredients, I noticed that it didn’t have any of those nasty chemicals like parabens, sulfates, and phthalates among others which is great! Also, the witch hazel ingredient makes this product useful for all skin types even those who are dealing with sensitive skin. Using this facial toner not only helps those who have uneven skin tone, but it is also effective in getting rid of those stubborn dirt, dead skin, and excess oil that tends to pack into the pores of the skin. Add cucumber into the mix and what you have is a skin care product that refreshes and cleans easily.
- It get rids of buildups in pore as the acids can easily penetrate deeper where blockages are packed tightly.
- Exfoliates the skin to remove dead skin cells that may get trapped into the pores.
- It doesn’t contain any harsh chemicals like phthalates, sulfates, and parabens even.
- Witch hazel, tea tree oil, and cucumber ingredients make it a powerful toner that is gentle even on sensitive skin.
- One user commented that the spray dispenser doesn’ seem to give equal amounts of the product when used.
- Another reviewer commented that it was too strong for an astringent as it made her skin feel tight.
- Another commented that it was just an okay product that has a high price tag.
OLEHENRIKSEN Balancing Force Oil Control Toner
Another choice for toners that you can use, is from OLEHENRIKSEN which is designed to help balance the oil levels on the skin. It is specially formulated to contain three different types of acids such as salicylic, lactic, and glycolic acid which not only remove dead skin cells, but they help clarify and freshen the skin too. The best part? This combination of ingredients doesn’t strip the protective layer of the skin too. It’s main feature is its Green Fusion Complex which is the company’s proprietary blend of various botanicals like eucalyptus, Irish moss extracts, green tea, and algae which help combat swelling, redness, and irritation.
If you have oily skin, acne and blemish prone skin, this product can be useful to you. It refines the pores to help minimize oil production which is important to keep acne breakouts at bay. It has a nice scent to it too which is a blend of peppermint and eucalyptus which is refreshing to be honest. You will notice that your complexion looks fresher than before.
- It regulates oil levels on the skin.
- Contains salicylic, lactic, and glycolic acid which cleans and clears pores without stripping the skin of its protective layer.
- Green Fusion Complex contains different botanicals like Irish moss, green tea, eucalyptus, and algae that prevent swelling, irritation, and redness on the skin.
- Ideal for acne, blemish, and oily skin.
- The product is way too high for a toner.
- It doesn’t clear up acne breakout completely.
- Another user complained that it caused them to breakout further.
Caudalie Vinopure Natural Salicylic Acid Pore Minimizing Toner
Toners like Caudalie Vinopure contains 100% salicylic acid which can reduce the size of your pores completely. This is essential since it helps control the amount of oil being produced. From what I have gathered, it will help with the breakouts and blackheads too. Using this product can help clean and purify skin while reducing impurities and imperfections. You can see that your skin’s texture is getting better with regular use which is one of the promises of this brand. Its three key ingredients are natural salicylic acid, organic grape water, and essential oils for toning and purifying the skin.
The instructions on how to use it looks easy enough even for a beginner. Just add a few drops of this on your palms then pat into your skin. You should follow this with serum and moisturizer too to help with lock in the moisture on your skin cells to make them appear healthy and strong.
- There are no toxic ingredients included in this product which means it is quite safe for your skin.
- Diminishes the size of the pores significantly with regular use.
- Reduce imperfections on skin.
- Cleanses and purifies the skin.
- One user complained that the smell was too strong.
- A reviewer felt nauseated after regular use.
- Another complained of dryness.
Products that can help with exfoliating dead skin cells like the ones mentioned above can be a good addition to your daily routine. Which one do I think is best? I would go with La Roche Posay Effaclar. This is designed to support those who are having trouble with oily face or acne riddled. It combines glycolic and salicylic acid into one strong solution that can banish your troubles easily.
It removes blockages, whiteheads, and blackheads while toning and firming your face easily. It is dermatologically tested so there are no allergens or strong chemicals that can cause irritation too which is a plus. This is best for those who tend to spend time outdoors because it removes impurities effectively.