My constant use of hair straighteners and dyes did a number on my strands, leaving them brittle and dry, especially on the ends. I wanted to bring back their natural look which is why I am in the lookout for the best hair serum to use on my poor hair.
What Does a Hair Serum Do?
Hair serums are these silicone-based products that coat strands to make them shinier and healthier. A good serum for the hair should be able to prevent tangles from occurring. It is also supposed to make your hair softer and frizz-free. Applying this product on your hair must be able to protect it against the sun and exposure to dust, grime, and other pollutants for that matter.
Using a hair serum can also help with minimizing hair loss and even protect it against heat especially when using styling tools like flat irons and curling wands. With numerous brands in the market today, it is not that easy finding the best hair serum to use.
Advantages of Using a Hair Serum on Your Strands
There are several reasons why finding serums to use on your hair is a good idea. If you have been dealing with split ends or damaged hair lately, I think you will be surprised by the benefits that you can get from this product. I researched on this beauty product and here’s what I have learned so far.
- Tame hair. Frizzy hair and flyaways won’t bother you anymore when you apply this product on your strands. Instead of controlling them with hairspray, using hair serum is a better option.
- Nourishment. Dry hair can make your mane appear dull and lifeless, plus prone to breakage too. Applying hair serums can provide protection against humidity while bringing back shine to your strands once more without making it appear greasy. This is a huge benefit because you don’t want to end up with oily strands clinging to your head.
- Soft hair. Damaged hair can be hard to the touch, but applying this product will bring back its natural softness to it making it easier to manage.
- Add shine. The best hair serum can make your dull hair appear shinier which makes your mane look healthier too.
- Protect from humidity. There are some hair types that simply poof up with the changing seasons, but this won’t be a problem when you apply a serum to your strands.
- Treat damaged hair. If your hair has been damaged because of your constant use of hair colour and heat styling tools like me, applying this product is a great way to helping it bring back to its natural way. It’s because this kind of hair product can bring back moisture to your damaged strands.
What’s the Best Way to Use a Hair Serum
Who would have thought that hair serums come packing with several benefits? Well, in order to experience them, it is important to learn the right way for using serums for hair which I am more than happy to share with you. If you want better-looking hair, try these tips out.
- Choose the right product for your hair.
This is important as you will need to look for serums that are specific to your hair type and condition. You should also consider the ingredients used as there are some that may contain chemicals that may not work well on you. Do some research to see which type will be suited for your own hair.
- Give your hair a thorough wash.
One thing that you need to keep in mind about serums is that they are meant to be used on shampooed hair only. This is because it is meant to be a source of nourishment for dry hair or even one that is brittle. I recommend that you choose a product that comes with shampoo and conditioner that have the same formulation as the serum for a complete treatment.
- Apply the serum.
Add two to six drops of the product on the palm of your hand then rub them together before applying on damp hair. Flip hair forward then apply from the roots to the tips, paying extra attention to split ends. Flip your hair back then add two more drops to your palms and massage it on your scalp. You can give your hair an extra boost by running another coating of the serum on your strands once you are done with the first two steps.
- Brush hair.
Brush your hair after to help remove any tangles. Blowdry your mane afterwards or use a heat styling tool to straighten or curl your strands. Experts recommend that you use a hair serum first prior to using straightening tools because it adds protection to your mane against the heat.
Best Hair Serums to Try
As there are so many great and effective hair serums today, it can be hard to find the best among them. I was able to narrow down my choices, however, to these five products which I think you can test on your own mane.
Kerastase Elixir Ultime L’Huile Original Beautifying Hair Oil
One of the best hair serums that I was able to encounter in my search was from Kerastase. Aside from having a stunning looking bottle, this product is designed to work with all hair types. It is made from several types of oils such as argan oil, camelia, amelia extract, marula, as well as corn germ oils to help bring dull hair back to life. It has anti-frizz capabilities so you don’t have to worry about your hair looking wild after taking a shower or while styling it.
Why should you get this beautifying hair oil? Aside from fighting frizz, it is also useful when it comes to protecting your strands against heat. It also comes with this gentle fragrance that adds to the overall effect on your mane which I enjoyed. You only need to use one to two pumps of this serum on your mane to get great results.
- Ideal for all hair types.
- Makes use of several types of oil such as argan oil, marula, and corn germ oils which are known to help prevent frizz and delivering extra shine to your strands.
- It comes with heat protection capabilities that prevent hair from becoming more damaged when exposed to high heat.
- It has a nice scent to it that makes your hair smell amazing.
- One user noticed that the smell was quite different from the same product bought in salons.
- Another reviewer complained that the serum dried her hair even more.
- A customer remarked that the product was expensive for a serum that doesn’t fully tame frizz.
Oribe Smooth Style Serum
In my list of best serum hair products, I have added Oribe smooth style serum because it is a great finishing touch to my hair. I already mentioned before that I have damaged hair, but this serum works like a charm in fighting frizz and flyaway. It doesn’t have that heavy feeling when applied and you will actually forget that it is even there. Using it doesn’t take away the ease in which you can style your hair as you like it which is yet another reason why I am suggesting it for you.
If you have split ends, Oribe’s serum will seal them up for you while giving them the nourishment they need to look healthier and shinier too. No more frizzy hair, that’s for sure, plus I like that it comes in an elegant looking tube that you can simply squeeze to get a small amount of the product. You don’t have to put on so much because a little can go a long way with Oribe.
- Ideal for finishing touches on your hair.
- It can tame frizz and flyaway for smoother strands.
- Makes strands easier to control and style as you see fit.
- Delivers nourishment to damaged hair.
- The price is too expensive for a hair serum, especially for a small bottle.
- One user complained that the serum was too thick which made her strands sticky.
- Another reviewer was disappointed that it did not have the same scent as other Oribe products.
Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum
The best hair serums should be one that doesn’t have too many chemical compounds to it which is exactly what Paul Mitchell hair serum is all about. It is gluten and paraben-free and will suit even those who are vegan too. This is best used as a blowout primer because it protects strands from heat styling tools. It speeds up the drying time for damp hair and it also tames the frizz that seems to pop out when you least expect them. The Super Skinny is lightweight that not only smoothens your mane, but it also seals any damage to it too.
You don’t have to use a lot of this product to style your hair, one pump will suffice. Rub the serum on your hands then apply it on clean, damp hair. Afterwards, you can get to style your mane with relative ease. Keep in mind that this is a concentrated type of serum and must be used in small amounts to get the best results.
- Paraben and gluten-free.
- Ideal as a blowout primer to protect strands from heat.
- Speeds up the drying process of damp hair.
- Highly concentrated that is why a small amount will do for your strands.
- Several users complained about the design of the bottle which made it difficult for them to get the serum.
- Another user was not a huge fan of the scent that comes with it.
- One reviewer noticed that the serum wasn’t able to tame her frizz properly.
Olaplex No.7 Bonding Oil
Another hair serum that I would suggest is this bonding oil from Olaplex. This hair serum is highly concentrated so you need to use a small amount on your mane. It is a restorative and reparative serum that can help restore damaged strands with repeated use. It makes your hair shinier, softer, and have more vibrancy in terms of colours. I am impressed that it can help bring back the natural texture and appearance of damaged locks with just a small amount.
You’ll be happy to know that it doesn’t contain any harmful chemicals like parabens, sulphate, phthalates, and phosphate. It works on all types of hair which is another reason why you should get this. It can protect your hair strands from intense heat coming from your styling tools so you don’t end up with dry hair.
- A small amount can go a long way with this highly concentrated serum.
- Restores and repairs damaged strands.
- Protects against heat from styling tools.
- Makes hair appear shinier, softer, and easy to style.
- One user wasn’t too happy that the serum did not do anything to fix her frizzy hair.
- Another complained that the price was high for something so small.
- A customer also remarked that it did not anything to solve her damaged hair and even caused the strands to become drier too.
OUAI Hair Oil
While I was searching for the best hair serums, I came across this hair oil from OUAI and I liked what I read about it. What you will get with this product is a serum that protects your coloured hair from fading, solves split ends, prevent UV rays from damaging your strands further, plus, it does give your hair that extra shine too. It makes use of ama, African galanga, and Asian borage oils for protecting strands and ensuring that they remain smooth regardless of how often you use a styling tool on them. Just run one to three drops of this oil on your wet hair or use it on dry hair even after a blowout to help maintain the style for a day or two. The best part? You can even use it as a hydrating mask for your damage strands!
There are no harmful ingredients in it but rather high-quality oils that are chosen to improve one’s hair. Products like this are worth investing in if you want to bring back the natural beauty of your mane.
- A versatile hair oil that can help you maintain beautiful hair.
- It can prevent your hair colour from fading.
- Protects from extreme heat.
- No harmful chemicals used to ensure that your hair remains safe.
- This oil may not work well with fine hair unless you use a really small amount.
- Another user complained that the smell wasn’t that great.
- The pump tends to get broken easily.
Which is the best hair serum from this list? My bet is on OUAI hair oil. Right from the start, it already has the most benefits because it not only protects hair from heat, but it can also help you maintain your colour-treated hair too. Damaged strands are restored and nourished with a small amount of serum, plus there are no harsh chemicals used during the manufacturing process.
Where else can you find a hair serum that you can also use as a hair mask? You can use this product overnight to help add moisture to your dry and brittle hair without worrying about ending up with plenty of grease on your pillow. This is definitely the best hair serum that I have encountered.